Morgan Stanley Recognizes Good Shepherd Food Bank for Second Time This Year With Grants Now Totaling $75,000

Award Brings Additional Support to School Pantry Program
AUBURN, Maine – December 9, 2013 – Good Shepherd Food Bank today announced a $50,000 grant from Morgan Stanley to fund its School Pantry Program, a child hunger initiative that helps to make sure low-income families have a readily accessible source of healthy and nutritious food to prepare at home.  This grant is the second Good Shepherd Food Bank has received this year from Morgan Stanley, bringing the total to $75,000.

These awards are the latest phase of Fill the Plate, Morgan Stanley’s long-standing partnership with Feeding America, the nation’s leading hunger-relief charity.  In total, Morgan Stanley has committed more than $13 million for the Feeding America network to distribute millions of meals to children and families across all 50 states.  As part of that initiative, Morgan Stanley is providing more than $4 million over four years to local food banks like Good Shepherd Food Bank to launch, expand and sustain critical childhood feeding programs.

“We are excited to receive this second level of support from Morgan Stanley to fund our efforts to deliver more nutritious meals to children and families,” said Kristen Miale, president of Good Shepherd Food Bank.  “Our whole team should be proud of the positive impact we’re having in the community, and the fact that Morgan Stanley has chosen to recognize that work a second time.”

Good Shepherd Food Bank’s School Pantry Program helps to alleviate child hunger through the provision of food to children and their families. Located directly on school grounds, the pantries provide a more readily accessible source of food assistance to low-income students and their families. Each site consistently operates in the same location, has set distribution schedules and offers ongoing food assistance services.

“Morgan Stanley encourages all of our employees to give back to the communities where we live and work, and we are excited to be able to again extend a helping hand to Good Shepherd Food Bank,” said Frederick M. Caswell, Executive Director, Branch Manager, Morgan Stanley Wealth Management, Portland. “Many of us are volunteers at Good Shepherd Food Bank so we know the good work that takes place here, and we are proud that our Firm has been able to bring a second grant to this important community organization.”

Nationwide, child hunger is a critical problem. According to the United States Department of Agriculture, nearly 16 million children in the United States live in households where they are unable to consistently access enough nutritious food necessary for a healthy life.  Feeding America’s most recent Map the Meal Gap research indicates that one in four Maine children do not have access to enough nutritious food to learn, grow and thrive.

About Good Shepherd Food Bank

As the largest hunger relief organization in Maine, Good Shepherd Food Bank provides for Mainers facing hunger by distributing nutritious food to 600 partner agencies across the state, including food pantries, meal sites, and youth programs. Together with its network, the Food Bank leads a statewide effort to combat the root causes of hunger by engaging in advocacy, nutrition education, and strategic partnerships. In 2012, the Food Bank distributed 13 million pounds of food to families, children, and seniors in need throughout Maine. Website:  www.feedingmaine.org; Phone:  (207) 782-3554; Facebook: www.facebook.com/feedingmaine; Twitter: www.twitter.com/feedingmaine.

Contact:

Clara Whitney, Communications & Advocacy Manager
Good Shepherd Food Bank
(207) 782-3554 x1166
cwhitney@gsfb.org